Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Screams From The West Iteration 4

This weeks main goal was to get the game and the rest of the team ready to present for stage 2. We had previously discussed having a melee mechanic and jumping spiders but had never fleshed them out. This week we decided that it was important to our game so we decided to add them.

The first mechanic I worked on was the melee mechanic. As you can see in the video above, I create a cylinder in  front of the player and swing it. When it collides with the spider, it pushes the spider away from the player. This seamed to work pretty well for what we wanted.

The next thing I worked on was the jumping spiders. I have it so when a spider gets in range of the player he jumps at him. After that he just chases the player as before until he gets far enough away to jump. This made it harder to get around spiders in buildings making the game more challenging and fun.

I also made a full game play video to show off the current state of the game. In this video I already knew where the egg sacs were so I ran through it quickly. This was just so I could show all of the game play in a reasonable amount of time. We used this along with a video of each mechanic during our presentation.

Our presentation went really well. They said that we passed as long as all the documentation is in order. Because of this we decided to proceed with this next week as if we passed. One thing brought up during the presentation though was the fact that we wanted to do multiplayer. Professor Ferguson questioned the need for multiplayer at all so during our meeting we discussed it. Ryan played the devils advocate but we decided that the journey we went through with our previous games was really about the cooperation aspects. Because of this we felt that we would not be doing our team justice to ignore this aspect. So we decided we wanted to do it but with time running out the team asked if I could get it basically working this week. At first I was caught pretty off guard, even though I knew it was coming to a close, I wasn't fully aware how much time we had left. I told the group that I wasn't sure if I could do it. The response was for me to try my best this week and if I was unsuccessful then we would just do single player. I am already starting to reformat my code and research what networking practices would be best for our game so I will let you know in next weeks blog how I do.